Savoury Cream Puffs!!
Do you like Cream Puffs? Soft, savoury, custard cream puffs? Drooling now, are you? Well, let me tells you that I just love ’em!. To make ’em? Well, I can’t admit that I am a pro but I have seen Mother prepared this delightful pastry and she’s given me the greenlight to share the recipe with all of you! ^_^
Certainly, i can’t think of a better recipe than this to start off this category. One of these days, I will certainly give this recipe a try and hopefully… it will be the just as heavenly as the ones prepared by dear old Mother!
Savoury Cream Puffs
A) Choux Pastry Ingredients:
Ø 300ml water
Ø 120g butter
Ø 1/8 tsp salt
Ø 150g plain flour, must be sifted
Ø 4 eggs
Ø 2 tsp baking powder
1. Put water, butter & salt into a small pot & bring to boil. Remove from the heat and mix in the sifted flour. Stir and cook with low heat till it can leave the side of the pot and form into dough. Leave to cool. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth and shiny. Add baking powder and mix well.
2. Put mixture into a piping bag and pipe mixture onto a greased and floured baking tin.
3. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 210oC for about 20minutes until lightly brown. Change to 180oC and continue to bake for another 20minutes till golden brown and cooked*. Remove and leave to cool.
4. Cut puffs from the top and fill in custard filling. Serve as a snack!
*Please note that puffs must be baked till cooked and dry. Otherwise, it will shrink upon removal from the oven.
B) Custard Filling Ingredients
Ø 60g custard powder
Ø 30g corn flour
Ø 220g castor sugar
Ø 380ml UHT milk
Ø 90g butter
Ø 2 egg yolks, beaten
Ø 1 tsp vanilla essence
5. Combine custard powder, corn flour & castor sugar in a pot and mix well. Then add in the milk, butter and egg yolks and proceed to stir well. Cook the mixture over low fire and must be stirred at all times to ensure mixture does not burn at the bottom of pot. Once cooked till thick, turn off fire and add in the 1 tsp vanilla essence and mix well.
Well then, there you go, the recipe for Savoury Cream Puffs. In the event that you did actually try it out, do come back and let me know how it turned out.
Enjoy yourself at the kitchen, ladies & gents! ^_^